Here are additional helpful publications and resources we have found:
How to Survive a Medical Malpractice Suit by Ilene Brenner 2010 is a very recent, well written book on the subject by a knowledgeable authority. See my review at Amazon by clicking on the image.
Adverse Events, Stress and Litigation by Charles and Frisch is the best book yet written concerning the effects of bad outcomes and litigation on physicians. See other reviews at Amazon by clicking on the image.
My comparative review of both of these books can be found here. The principal co-author of this book, Sara Charles, MD is the “grandmother of all awareness” about litigation stress. View an excellent new video made by Sara Charles referencing the phenomenon and her related website . For a fascinating look at the author’s own history, see The Defendant: A Psychiatrist on Trial for Medical Malpractice.
- Physicians Aren’t Alone: Understanding & Dealing With Malpractice Litigation Stress Becker’s Healthcare 3/2012
- How to Prevent a Complaint from Becoming a Lawsuit Medscape Emergency Medicine 3/2012
- Planning Your Next Move When Wrongly Accused of Medical Malpractice Medical Economics 2/2012
- Will You Be Forced to Settle Your Malpractice Case? Medscape Emergency Medicine 7/2009
- How to Cope When Your Physician Spouse is Sued
- Physicians Aren’t Alone: Dealing with Malpractice Stress Spineline
- Coping with Litigation Stress PND 1998
- Litigation Stress Syndrome
- Preparing for a Deposition World Law Direct 2011
- Overcoming Jury Bias Nations 1999 trial lawyer’s techniques
ACEP has a variety of resources for physicians in litigation
- So, You Have Been Sued ACEP (American College of Emergency Physicians)
- What to Expect when You’re Expecting Litigation
- Litigation Stress, a Self Management Strategy
- Trial by Trial: A Woman Physician’s Account of Being Sued AAWEP EPIC 2007
- Getting Sued: a Resident’s Perspective ACEP
- Resources for Dealing with Liability
- Malpractice Distress: Help yourself and others Survive J Fam Practice 2007
- Silent Treatment: How NOT to Handle a Colleague who is Suffering
- Navigating a Lawsuit Physicians’ Practice 2008
- Here is a 3 part blog series by a surgeon detailing his first brush with a malpractice case, which he calls “Losing my Virginity”
- Here is a related website on litigation stress, depression and suicide
- Here is a website containing a wealth of other helpful materials
If you know of or find other additional resources for physicians undergoing litigation, please help us grow this site by providing feedback! Thanks.
By What it’s all About | MD Mentor April 11, 2012 - 2:20 pm
[…] just found a new video posted by Sara Charles, MD, who literally wrote the book on the phenomenon of Litigation Stress. In just a few minutes, this grandmotherly psychiatrist […]